Wednesday 15 May 2013

When life gives you lemons make lemon drizzle cake...

The title of today's post is stolen from an old proverb which is about optimism, no matter what life throws at you you have to make do and do your best. Today has been a tough day at University for me because for various reasons I won't go into the day didn't go out as originally planned, which naturally adversely affected me (I'm the sort of person who would win the lottery but then get struck by lightning twice in the same spot...). A part of me wanted to mope and get all huffy about it - and I definitely did for a while - but then I pulled myself together and worked on an alternative which worked out excellently.
It has made me think about the challenge I set myself almost two weeks ago. I originally said the deadline would be the first of the first next year, but really I always knew from the very start that this should be 100 recipes in 100 days. Perhaps I'm too craven to have gone the full hog and really challenged myself straight away but I've decided to amend the challenge, I no longer have many months to do this tough challenge but 100 days to do an even harder one. Wish me luck!
Anyway, today's cake is another one of those simple easy ones I simply have to do just to get it out of the way before advancing onto the hard stuff, it would be silly to do all the exciting stuff right away and then leave myself with the basics towards the end. Nonetheless, nothing ever goes smoothly evenwith a relatively simple cake like a lemon drizzle! As always it went wrong because I didn't follow the recipe properly, the recipe says an eight inch baking tin... I went with a seven inch tin. Why? Because I bought the seven inch one for yesterday's recipe and it cost me £4.25! That's almost two double rum and cokes! So I wasn't going to go and splash out on an extra inch no matter how much I need it (*insert innuendo*).
But of course this resulted in the cake being deeper so the center not cooking as well as it could do before the top started browning (or blackening, in my case) off. Simple solution is FOLLOW THE RECIPE. It's really quite obvious!

The Result:

Ok, so it's not the most beautiful looking cake ever made, and to be honest nor is it the tastiest but then it's really hard to make a judgement on this one. I feel like the actual recipe is lacking in something (probably butter which I'm pretty sure I now have an addiction to!) and the soured cream and oil just doesn't add enough taste to make it really worth going for. I doubt I'll ever make this one again.


No comments:

Post a Comment