Monday 6 May 2013

I pecan't make biscuits...

Today's challenge was chosen by fate, I flicked the recipe book and stopped on a random page, and it seems that fate was decidedly against me. Pecan and Maple biscuits were the challenge and by god did I fail and quite spectacularly so.

My first tip to those attempting this recipe is to ensure that the maple syrup has its lid on properly. Mine was a fresh bottle so I had to peel that little bit of foil off the top before I could pour the correct amount carefully in, naturally I put the lid on... but somehow forgot to screw it on properly. Maple syrup all over the place. In the bowl (along with carefully measured out ingredients), on the surface, on my hands and on my pack of butter. The frustration was incredible. But I managed to scoop out most of the offending syrup to roughly the amount which was required and thundered along with the recipe.

The next problem is a more significant problem in terms of the quality of the end result (though far less dramatic), I have no baking paper and the recipe asks for it specifically. I would say it's not rule breaking by just using a tray here right? If it is I apologise and promise to invest in some for the next time, especially considering the disastrous end product. Whether it was the tray or that there was too much syrup or that I missed a step or something I don't know, but what I do know is that what came out of the oven weren't biscuits but some sort of abominations created by the cookie-monster.

The Result:
Mmmm, horrible crumbly mess...
As you can see these are not, by any stretch of the mark, biscuits but more a sugary-nutty mess piled on a plate slowly being (even more) ruined by the saltiness of my tears falling on them after I crumbled (pun intended as always) under the pressure. On the plus side, they are still quite a tasty mess.
My tip to anyone trying the recipe is to:
A - Not drop maple syrup everywhere.
B: Try making less biscuits, the recipe recommends 18 but these are way too thin, perhaps 12 would be better.
C: Baking paper is probably a most have, I bent a spatula in half trying to scrape these off the tray. 

Thanks for reading, I'll be back tomorrow! If you've enjoyed it please share and subscribe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment