Sunday 5 May 2013

Cheesy Scones

I desperately wanted to make some sort of pun for the title of this post but I really can't think of anything that wasn't too cheesy...  Anyway, bad jokes aside today was a good challenge, it is the first recipe of the lot which I've both never eaten or made before. An exciting challenge!

While I'm talking about scones I have to clarify to everyone that the correct pronunciation of this tasty treat is "SCON" not "SCONE", according to Wikipedia anyway. Though I must admit I don't stick to that guide myself most of the time. I think throughout today I've said both about as many times as each other so I guess I'm a horrible hypocrite. I found this poem about the pronunciation of scone:



"I asked the maid in dulcet tone
To order me a buttered scone
The silly girl has been and gone
And ordered me a buttered scone."

Anyway, this is no grammar blog so down to the cooking! The recipe is a tasty one (try it out yourself here) but I must say it wasn't at all specific enough when it came to the cheese, I had no idea what to do with it, do I mix it in in a large chunk? Grate it? Crumble it up? In the end I went with crumbling it up but actually I reckon grating half and crumbling the rest would be a good bet, the little pockets of cheese really made it but they were few and far between so grating may balance that out!

While we're on the subject of the cheese I must say that Pecarino cheese is gorgeous! It's like a parmesan cheese so would be grate (excuse the pun!) on pasta and pizza and the like. I would highly recommend sticking to the recipe and using this cheese but if you wanted to swap it for another cheese Parmesan would be a good bet or at the very least a hard cheese!

Other than that, it is a really really easy recipe to follow and even my Amateur status meant nothing, they came out so well that my house mate raved about them all afternoon and said he would "make love to them if he could"... rather him than me, but I'm fairly sure that's a compliment of sorts so I will gladly accept it! My only qualm with them was that I really don't know what to eat them with, they're not bread and they're not cakes so who knows.

The Result:

Mmm, sconny...

Tomorrow I think I shall have to bake something sweet and sugary... 


No comments:

Post a Comment