Friday 17 May 2013

Bargain Hunting and Biscuit Making

As I've mentioned numerous times during my challenge, I'm a student. I therefore have very little money; I don't have a job and I live entirely on my student loan. As you may have worked out from the various unusual ingredients and the quantity of baked goods I've been making, this is going to be a very expensive task.

Today was all about finding ingredients for the absolute minimum and in the homely city of Winchester where I live that makes for quite a task... especially when you don't have a car!
Yet, I've become a bargain hunter. I've found that by far the cheapest place for eggs is Iceland, they are a shocking £1.75 for 15 large eggs. OK, they are from caged hens but I'm afraid morals go out of the window when you're getting through a dozen a week!

I've had to be every single type of sugar on the face of this earth (or so it seems) but the problem with having these more obscure types is of course price and availabilty. I paid a shocking amount for demerara but somehow Muscovado sugar was actually cheaper than the light brown sugar. Who'd have thought it!

Anyway, today was a test in getting all of these today in one trip. I had Oranges, eggs, sugar and golden syrup to get. First I went to iceland, then I went to poundland, then I went to, the sainsbury's superstore (a two mile run) and finally to my local corner shop which had accidentally under priced Golden Syrup by £1.50 per bottle. I bought two. In short, I spent a lot of time and effort attempting to cut costs and still spent a fortune on foods, this money is almost literally going straight down the toilet...
But to the recipe, today was chocolate orange sandwich biscuits. These are by far the most interesting biscuits I've ever made, there is something so satisfying about making a creamy-chocolate filling and squishing two biscuits together onto it. The resultant biscuit is really quite remarkable actually. Both tasty and surprisingly far less messy to eat than I'd imagined.

Imagine eating a really full sandwich, you take that first bite and crunch through the crusty bread, feel the touch of the spongey bread and then the soft juicy filling... dribbling all the way down your hand after the bite. I thought that would happen here but luckily the biscuit was doughy enough to allow a bite to crumble straight through and not cause a filling fiasco. And to top it all off, they look like colour-inverted burgers, wonderful.

The Result:
Mmm filling-ey...
Yep, they look gooey and crunchy and lovely. But I have to say the orange really made them, I love how a little bit of Orange rind in a recipe like this can change them from being probably too rich and choclatey to just right. All in all, a great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment